Sunday 25 January 2009

Chinese New Year Celebrations

Last week we had our Chinese New Year Celebrations!

Unfortunately, some things did not go as planned.

I had overslept because my alarm clock malfunctioned !! I had to rush to school for morning band practice (Playing National Anthem , etc) but when I arrived I was 15 minutes late. At least I didn't get punished!

Later during English lesson , I realized I had forgotten to do my Commonwealth Essay and I had to go for detention on Thursday immediately after school - the same time which my Maths Test starts! I blamed myself for being so forgetful . ( Well, I hit myself on the head actually. )

At 9am I was permitted to leave the class as I was asked to help out backstage for the Chinese New Year Concert. At around 9:30am we were briefed and assigned our tasks. We were quite relaxed, since the only thing we needed to do was to set up the chairs.

The Chinese New Year Concert was quite entertaining , although I wasn't paying much attention to it . It started off with the Chinese Orchestra playing two songs which I have never heard of.



The Chinese Orchestra performing (Above)

Next came the 3 Baskateers! From what I heard, they recently took part in a "Science Buskers" competition which they came in first! I was curious to see what they were doing but the stage curtains blocked my view.

After that , a pair of hip hop dancers came on stage. They were absolutely fantastic, sadly , just as one dancer was about to land his finishing move , he sprained his ankle and still had to finish the performance! With a quick bow he was rushed backstage, immediately crying in pain. Shortly after he was fetched to the clinic.



The second group of hip hop dancers (Above)


While the audience had no clue what was going on backstage, another group of hip hop dancers came up on stage. Their performance was , to put it politely , quite feminine.

When the dance ended, our school's CLDDS actors performed a sketch. I was not able to hear what they were saying but I assumed it was a comedy since the audience were laughing almost non stop.

The final item came as a surprise to all of us. Some guests from the old folks home came up on stage and started to sing some hokkien songs! Their voices were superb and I could even recognize some of the songs they sang! I guess the school really saved the best for last!

When the entire concert was over, I was ready to leave school. I had made plans with my old classmates to visit my primary school to wish all the teachers there a happy chinese new year. Unfortunately, just as I was about to leave school , my senior told me I had to stay back for band practice!! I wanted to ditch the practice but my senior said that if I don’t stay back , I won’t be able to perform for SYF! I stayed back reluctantly and sulked for hours.
However, the school attendants saved me by closing the school at 4 pm.

What a confusing day that was. It seemed luck could never decide where it should go. Happy Chinese New Year everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment